Monday, November 5, 2012

What to do all day

So far, the only thing that sucks about this homeless thing is the nights/mornings that I can't get comfortable sleeping. Sometimes I sleep like a baby and sometimes I sleep like a baby with shit in his pants.

The word homeless is notably weird to me now. I embrace it, though, despite the fact that it has a lot of connotations that probably don't fit my exact situation. I've found it makes some people uncomfortable. At parties and such, I've had a lot of people asking me where I'm going to live now that the Casa is closed as we know it. I usually just say "I'm gonna be homeless," and the response will either be 1) Excitement/interest 2) Apathy/they aren't really paying attention anyway, or 3) Cues of mild disgust in the face, paired with something along the lines of "Oh."

I spend a lot of time in public, of course, and the neighborhoods I frequent have a lot of people that are, as far as I can tell, more classically homeless than I would consider myself to be. I feel a new kinship with them now. What do they do all day? That is usually the first question that comes to mind. I feel like the 1% of the homeless world, trying to understand what those poor middle-class fucks are doing. (I can't help but notice the following: I grew up on the bottom rung of a rich town. I was comfortable, but made to feel poor. Now I am uncomfortable, and made to feel rich. I don't know what this means, if anything.) If your clothes are noticeably old, and your skin is leathery and dirty - if you live in the streets not by choice but by necessity - (the necessity of my own situation is clearly debatable) - if all your possessions are all you can carry - what do you do with yourself other than sit and watch the world go by?

Answer: I don't know. I would hazard a guess at studying in the public libraries and getting wasted on whatever cheap intoxicant can be acquired. I'm sure I'll come back to this later. I've got stuff to do.

SHAME LOG:


No shame to report. Coffee, stuff from the deli counter at Vons. Free beer at Frankie's. The notable meal is: Risotto with a caesar salad and split pea soup at Taix, paid for with a food voucher that I got for playing there with Matthew Teardrop. I bought a beer for like 5 bucks, which is what I was thinking about spending on a big fat burrito or something when I remembered about the voucher. Dinner at Taix is awesome. I ate by myself and read Infinite Jest, then went to sleep at like 9.

EDIT/UPDATE: I forgot to mention that I got completely wasted on Saturday. Free beers at Frankie's anniversary party evolved into whiskey at Mike James' movie preview which evolved into my showing up drunk at the peak of a party filled with friends, who, in their party mood and being happy to see me arrive, fed me much beer, which resulted in my passing out/wake-up-and-raging numerous times. There is a certain somehow glorious shame in that.




No comments:

Post a Comment